What is Articipate?
ARTicipate! is a program that merges “art” and “participation” in the elementary classroom. Its goal is to introduce students to the visual arts in an interactive way that encourages them to feel comfortable looking at and talking about art. Students will be exposed to a wide variety of famous artists and works of art, and taught basic terms and concepts to provide them with tools to develop a lifelong appreciation for art.
Parent volunteers will come into the classroom quarterly to present three to five large art reproduction and introduce a curriculum-related theme. Presenters will guide discussion as students explore, examine and enjoy the artwork. The 30-60 minute session includes a theme-related activity that invites student creativity. This teaching method is based on Visual Thinking Strategies, a well-established visual arts appreciation program. Kindergarten through grade six will have a set series of prints to allow students at each grade level to experience new artwork and build on the previous year’s presentations. By the end of sixth grade, students will have been introduced to nearly 100 different works of art.
How to Volunteer
- Complete your WLES background check: http://www.wl.k12.in.us/employment/background-check
- Contact your child's teacher and tell them you'd like to volunteer for Articipate
- Arrange times and dates with the teacher to present the Articipate units
- Reserve the prints for your unit using the links on this page
- Read through the Articipate unit a day or two before presenting to class
- Retrieve the prints from the Art Room shortly before your scheduled presentation. They are just inside the Art Room on the left in the set of drawers. There are additional supplies/materials under the drawers, including magnet clips for hanging the prints.
- If you need paper for the classroom activity, you can get it from the copy room.
- Present to the class and HAVE FUN!
- Return all prints and materials to the Art Room and/or Copy Room.
This art appreciation program was developed especially for students in grades Kindergarten through 6th grade at Cumberland and Happy Hollow elementary schools. All the information needed for volunteers to prepare an ARTicipate! presentation is included below.
These files and folders are a compilation of parent-volunteer created and collected materials that have been used alongside the official ARTicipate curricula.
All that you need is contained in the official grade-level PDF file--these files are extra. Take and use what you like and leave the rest. If you've found images, activities, or information you'd like to share with other parents, email it to the ARTicipate volunteer chairperson to be included.
Thanks for volunteering and have fun!
Material Sign-Out Sheet
Use these sheets to sign-out the materials you'll need to teach. Under the correct quarter, write your name, the date, and either a.m. or p.m. to indicate when you'll be using the materials.